Sunday, January 29, 2012

winter.







I love Winter. I love the calm, serene look of farmers' fields and streets freshly blanketed with snow; glistening icicles hanging from branches and eavestroughs; cardinals and woodpeckers gathering seeds left by thoughtful bird enthusiasts...
Living in Canada, you become accustomed to the cold temperatures; or at least, most of us do. Being of Finnish background, I'm perfectly content to "go for a stroll" in -25 degree Celsius weather while my Italian husband, on the other hand prefers a slightly more temperate climate. 
I've always looked forward to Winter. I've never thought twice about trudging out into the vast whiteness clad in my long underwear, bundled up to my eyebrows in wool. Each outing is an adventure and it's invigorating. Winter makes you feel alive. Ironic I suppose, since it always manages to amaze me at how beautiful dead things can be; how there is always life hiding in places where things seem to be completely empty and still; how many different shades of brown there are! 
Above are a few photos I took on a milder day earlier this month while Mia and I were out for one of our walks discovering our new neighbourhood. Being a new mother has really opened my eyes to just how lovely this (and every) season is (will be). I really hope Mia has more of my cold-hardy Finnish blood coursing through her veins than David's Italian blood (though to his credit, he is a champion snow shoveler and snowball maker). I'm already eager for next Winter when she'll be old enough to tromp through the snow on foot with me and make her own wonderful discoveries.

No comments: